The month of February is the month of love right? I don’t know but I’ve been seeing hearts left right and centre.
So I’m going to focus on love today.
According to the dictionary love is
[luhv] . noun
a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
But what is love according to the Bible?
- Love is denying your wants/needs to look out for the well being of others; it is sacrificing. Honoring one another above ourselves. (Romans 12:10)
- Love is using our gifts/talents/resources to serve and seek the well being of others. (1 Peter 4:10)
- Love is being compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and patient. it requires empathy. (Colossians 3:12)
- Love rejoices in the truth (1 Corinthians 13:6), therefore seeks justice. Justice for the poor, the widowed, the orphans and the innocent.
- Love is going out of your way and having no expectations,it is not self-seeking but it is sincere. Our love may not even be returned however, this does not mean we shouldn’t love that person. It’s easy to love and do good to those who love you back, everyone does that. (Matthew 5:47)
- Love is the most important thing, it is the one thing we are obligated to do (Romans 13:8-10). It is the basis of the Bible, it should also be the basis of everything we do. Anything we do without love is useless. (1 Corinthians 13: 1-3)
GOD IS LOVE! (1 John 4:8)
And as Christ makes a home in our hearts, we too as children of God should reflect this love.
I wish I could say replace ‘Love’ with ‘God’and let your mind be blown, but unfortunately my sentence structuring has let me down. However, if you rearrange some words a little the significance should still resonate. (minus #1&2)
Pictures from http://wallpapersafari.com/1-corinthians-13-wallpaper/